Heating your home efficiently
Not only is a warm and comfortable home is good for our health and wellbeing, it’s good for the environment too. By making our homes more energy efficient we can retain the heat inside.
By making your home more energy efficient, you’ll not just be helping Scotland to reach its net zero target, you’ll have a warmer home and save money on bills. Net zero means the amount of greenhouse gas emissions we put into the atmosphere and the amount we’re able to take out will add up to zero.
Improving the efficiency of your heating system is one of the most important steps you can take to reduce your fuel bills and your carbon dioxide emissions. For example, you can upgrade to a low or zero emissions heating system or better insulate your home. Find out more about home insulation and how this keeps your home warm here.
Get a personalised Home Energy Check to find out how you can lower your bills and have a warmer home.
You might also be able to get funding to help with the cost of installing energy efficient and zero emissions heating measures. Home Energy Scotland, from the Scottish Government, provides free and impartial advice and will check what funding you're entitled to, such as an interest-free loan of up to £13,500 with cashback or help worth up to £5,000 to cover the cost of installing energy efficient and zero emissions heating measures. Call them free on 0808 808 2282 to find out more.
Use Home Energy Scotland’s Funding Finder to find grants and loans to help improve the energy efficiency of your home.
There’s also lots of changes you can make around your home quickly and easily, to help save you energy and money:
- Install a room thermostat – turning your heating down just one degree can save around £60 a year.
- Invest in a smart heating controls – this’ll let you keep your home comfortable without wasting fuel or heat. If you want to know more visit Energy Saving Trust.
- Understand your energy bill – visit Home Energy Scotland for information on how to reduce your bills and find the best deal for you.
- Draught-proof windows, doors and cracks - there are many quick wins around the home or a professional can install effective solution.
- Switch appliances off stand-by and use kitchen appliances carefully.
- Fit a water-efficient shower head and take a shorter shower.
- Get your boiler checked – an efficient boiler makes a big difference, you should be getting it checked once a year.
Take action starting now
To achieve net zero by 2045, we must take action now. Start here to find ways that you can make changes in your life at home and on the go.